The Pros and Cons of Programming in GoLang
Programming Language / November, 13 2022
In today’s fast-changing world, Google is not just used for browsing some piece of information. It has steadily risen in the ranks by being adaptable in all spectrums. Google has positively contributed to the industry with the programming language GoLang launched in the year 2007.
Many people face difficulties choosing the programming in golang for their project. We recommend that users should understand the mobile app development project completely before jumping on to select a programming language. The programming language that you choose, will majorly depend on the type of your project.
Here is the blog that will provide complete information on the pros and cons associated with the GoLang programming language.
Before we get to the pros and cons of the programming in go; firstly, you should know how exactly it works-
GoLang - An Introduction
Google's GoLang programming language is one of the most popular open-source languages. It was created by the three most prominent engineers, they are Rob Pike, Ken Thompson, and Robert Griesemer.
The primary goal of creating the programming language was to solve the problems observed by tech giants with the prevalent languages at that time, especially C++. In the 2000s, Google's already large codebase grew, and with it came the era of multicore, networked computers, and the dawn of the cloud computing revolution. The result was, the senior software engineers at Google were dissatisfied with the programming languages on which they relied.
Some facts about programming in golang language:
- In the year 2016, GoLang was named the “language of the year” according to the Tiobe index.
- In the year 2017, golang programming language became the 9th fastest-growing language on GitHub.
The objective of The GoLang Programming Language
The developers of the programming language golang primarily focused on solving problems that occur while developing programs in other programming languages without neglecting their unique traits and features.
GoLang is built on the grammar of the C or C++ programming language and offers the following additional advantages.
- Keep up with multi-threading
- Memory Safety
- Garbage Collection
- Concurrency with Structural Typing in CSP
- Automatic Declaration Of Variables
- Structural Typing
Here are the pros and cons of the GoLang programming language
There are various programming languages such as Python, Java, and many more but Golang appears to be the first choice of every startup. Businesses at their initial level, incorporate it into their backend systems with aim of the following pros of golang:
Pros of programming language golang
- Go is a rapidly fast programming language, as it is a machine code compilation and effortlessly outshines languages with virtual runtimes. As the outcome, the binary is petite as it compiles comparatively quickly.
- The syntax structure of the programming language golang, is tiny when we compare it with the other programming languages.
Is golang language hard to learn? No, because of its syntax structure it is easy to learn, and also it can easily be memorized. As a matter of fact, there is no need to put so much effort to check up on this frequently, as it is outstandingly clean and direct to read.
- It works in the same way as other statically typed languages. The compiler can help identify whole classes of errors. Also, it provides built-in lists, maps, primitive types like int, string, byte, and even strucks, which are easy to use.
- Interfaces of go (programming languages) Source are able to satisfy any struct through the execution of its strategies. Its interfaces allow you to write modular and tested code. You can also use its cutting-edge capabilities to make your code more functional.
- Unlike C++ and C, memory management has been made robustly easy and simple programming in go.
As you have seen, there are many benefits to using GO. But, there are cons too, since a programming language can be more than just its syntax. These are the following points that you need to take care of:
Cons of programming language golang
- Go coding language does not have generics, even when it includes excellent capabilities to write functions like “reduce”, “map”, or “filter” but it is impossible for these similar functions or different kinds of collections. This can be overcome, but it also has a negative impact.
- Interfaces in Go are a strength. However, it is difficult to regulate if a structure could be implemented in an interface or not. This can only be determined after the program has been compiled.
- Because the Go library support is not very good, you will need to write a lot of code to retrieve and phrase data from the integrated API. Moreover, external libraries are also needed.
- It is a possibility that the GoLang programming language community might be non-receptive to suggestions. It seems to have a different perspective as compared to the web frameworks. Although its HTTP library covers most of the issues, it doesn't address many cross-cutting concerns, path parameters, input validation, and sanitization which are all common in web applications.
- The developers who will just be starting with Go, might get perplexed while using it as the management is fractured. Furthermore, Git repositories back up every virtual package management whose history background can be altered at any time.
|Easy to learn its Syntax||Poor Library Support|
|Garbage Collection||Zero Community Support|
|Interface Types||Automation Scope is Limited|
|Testing Support||Internal Inconsistencies|
|Statically Typed||No Generics|
|Extremely Quick||Constant Interfaces|
In the year 2021 December, Go was ranked as the 19th most famous programming language worldwide, according to Tiobe data.
If you're looking for an all-rounder programming language, there isn't one. The same holds true for golang pros and cons. While the pro aspects of programming in go are clear and its approachability is great. Its acclaimed popularity at Google makes it a promising programming language. However, it also has its flaws like any other programming language. Before you learn golang or attempt to integrate it into your project, it is important to carefully consider the pros and cons.
Mr. Bhuvnesh Mathur
Bhuvnesh got his Bachelor's degree in software engineering in 2017 and has been working in Vidhema Technologies since 2018 as SEO Lead and technical writer. He has a special knack of learning from all verticals and imbibing the extracts into his writing and enjoys learning techincal aspects of of writing for his experties as SEO and SMO. In his writing he express his experience and understading of different technologies.